Saturday, April 21, 2012

Poetry

There are two sides to me as a writer. One side wants to hold onto the traditions of the past, capture the old way of speaking and writing of the great writers of our history. The other wants to break every rule created. It's a fine balance in writing but I believe that a mix of both leads to the best kind of writing, writing that catches you in its current and pulls you under until you are left breathless and with a lasting impression. 


Poetry is a method of writing that breaks through all barriers and it's where I find most of my inspiration. My favorite poets are John Keats and e.e. cummings. They both represent the old and the new in beautiful ways. 


Bright Star by John Keats


"Bright star, would I were stedfast as thou art-- 
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft-fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors--
No--yet still stedfast, still unchangeable,
Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever--or else swoon to death." 


e.e. cummings "i carry your heart"


"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
                                  i fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)."



What are your favorite poems for inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment