Thursday, April 19, 2012

Writing Emotion

Not all emotion in your story has to come about through description. Sometimes, like in Jane Eyre, its all about your choice of words.

"Do you think I can stay to become nothing to you? Do you think I am an automaton? a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup?


Do you think because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! I have as much soul as you, and full of as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty, and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is me to leave you.


... I am not talking to you in mortal flesh...it is my spirit that addresses your spirit..."
  ~Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

I think this version of Jane Eyre does this scene splendidly.


What are some other ways to express emotion through words?

No comments:

Post a Comment